Friday, June 14, 2013

June is Bustin Out All Over!

Forgive the "Carousel"/Leslie Uggams reference, but I am so thrilled that Summer is here! Well, sort of...New York City has been experience some fairly heinous weather lately that has felt a bit more like October. But I have decided not to let that cramp my excitement!

With the start of my second summer here in the Big Apple, I wanted to share with you some of my summer favorites that I've been reading/listening to on my commute.

The Age of Innocence | Edith Wharton 
This old New York story is full of lust, scandal, and impropriety all wrapped up in a 'Society' package.

New York Diaries | Edited by Teresa Carpenter
This compilation of journal and diary entries, each written on one of the 365 days in a year, spans four centuries of New York life.

No One Belongs Here More Than You | Stories by Miranda July
This book of short stories are conversational and thought-provoking and I enjoy Miranda's quirky take on subjects from the mundane to the self-actualizing.

The Heavy: a Mother, a Daughter, a Diet | Dara-Lynn Weiss
This book has been the topic of much debate, especially when it comes to parenting and dieting/relationships with food. But I ultimately admire this mother's choice to put her 7-year-old daughter on a diet after reading this insightful book.

All of these tunes can be found on my Spotify playlist Perfect Summer, shown below. Give it a listen and leave a comment listing a few of your favorite reads and tunes this summer!


0 comments:

Post a Comment