Monday, August 1, 2011

Last Week in JSQ Entertainment...

Last week my eyes and ears were on sensory overload! I saw three spectacular shows that each completely blew my mind, and for very different reasons. There were sequins, platforms, wigs, tap shoes, eyeshadow, jazz hands, blood, dirt, and glitter. In fact, all three had glitter, glitter, glitter galore! That was definitely the common theme...

Images from here, here and here
First of all, if you are in New York City, you really have to check out Priscilla Queen of the Desert. I have honestly never had so much fun at a Broadway show in my entire life...from 3 sassy singing divas dangling from the ceiling with beehives that would make Marge Simpson jealous to a giant moving bus that (spoiler alert) ends up getting digi-painted hot pink in a crucial scene, this play was a million laughs, a few tears, all set to toe-tappin', hand-clappin' disco and Madonna musical numbers.

Then there's the Broadway classic Anything Goes starring the legendary Sutton Foster. I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved seeing her in this role. After at least 3 attempts to see her in different shows over the years, I either couldn't get tickets, friends wanted to see something else instead, or saw an understudy instead. Finally it happened! I saw her, and the entire company was fabulous as well. They performed a tap number in the middle of song that was seriously five minutes long, and then went right back to singing like it wasn't even hard!

Finally, I made it back to Columbus just in time to see Ke$ha's Get Sleazy tour at the Ohio State Fair, and I know it sounds crazy but it was a really great show! It was just exactly as ridiculous as I wanted it to be. She got a little crazy in one number where she was drinking blood from a human heart she ripped from one of her male dancers, but she made up for it in spades with the multiple glitter cannons that shot out into the audience...even in the cheap seats (where we obviously were...) It was amazing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment