Friday, January 21, 2011

Global Guts

The 2011 Golden Globes were on Sunday night, and I just can't seem to get the red carpet choices off my mind. While I was really impressed by the simplicity we saw from some, I was kind of underwhelmed by most, and some made me feel down right uncomfortable...

Thus I bring you, the very first ever (and who knows if it will ever be repeated...) Jenna Sais Quois Red Carpet Awards.

Emma Stone is my first pick for Best Dressed because she looks fresh, age appropriate, beachy and tastefully simple. The cut of this Calvin Klein dress is stunning, and while she looks a tad washed out, she took a chance and was definitely rewarded.


January Jones is my first pick for Worst Dressed and I know some of you will disagree with me on this. I will firmly say that, yes, she looks stunning and that Versace dress is a conversation starter, but I thought her DĂ©colletage simply made me uncomfortable. I can't be the only one...


Anne Hathaway was absolutely Best Dressed in Armani Privé. I don't even dislike those shoulder pads a tiny bit. She looked absolutely gorgeous, and her hair and makeup were soft and pretty, but that sheer illusion piece on the back of her dress was a little bizarre. That's my only criticism. And I'm reaching for that one...
 

Julianne Moore in Lanvin is a Worst Dressed winner for me because though I applaud her guts, I just don't think the world is quite ready for it. I am all for asymmetry, and I could totally see some Beverly Hills socialite mother wearing this in 1988, but in 2011 and with that the sleeve going through that Bulgari necklace, and that bizarre bag it was frankly just a hot mess...


Claire Danes was another Best Dressed winner for me because like Emma Stone, and both wearing Calvin Klein, she looked fresh, young, simple, and classic. I loved the color on her, and we all know honeysuckle is the 2011 Pantone of the year...My only criticism here is that her hair kind of looks like Kate Gosselin, which is not cute...


Finally, Natalie Portman rings in the last Worst Dressed award and it has nothing to do with her being pregnant...she just looks like a Valentine's Day singing telegram girl who is secretly a conehead. The hair is disastrous, the rose...I don't even know, and that necklace? Natalie would have done well to heed the sage advice of Coco Chanel. If you know you're going to win an award, spring for the stylist. That is all I'm saying.


Missing from this list is Helena Bonham Carter, because I really think she is in a completely other league...and even if she had been wearing Catherine Zeta Jones' dress, nobody would have named her best dressed anyway. She's just on her own planet. I'm not against wearing two different colored shoes, if you're going for that look, but just don't make them dye-to-match junior bridesmaid shoes, please.

1 comment:

  1. I hated Emma Stone's look. She is one of my favorite actresses at the moment, so I was definitely let down. With her Gwen Stacy hair, horrible spray tan, and that dress, she just looked like a big peach blob.

    My best dressed was definitely Olivia Wilde. I know she is near the top of everyone's best dressed list, but she was the first person I saw on E!'s red carpet coverage on Sunday night and my breath was literally taken away. She was absolutely stunning. And on top of that, the shoes that she had on under that beautiful monster were flawless.

    Now, Helena Bonham Carter just pissed me off. I wanted to vomit when I saw some footage of her posing for pictures. I hate people who just scream, "Look at me! I'm quirky!" Vomitron.

    ReplyDelete